The Ministry of Health convened medical trade unions for the first negotiation meeting on April 26, trade union structures reported this Friday.
In a statement, the National Federation of Doctors (FNAM) said the meeting is scheduled for next Friday at 11am.
Speaking to Lusa, Nuno Rodriguez, secretary general of the Independent Union of Doctors (SIM), said the union had convened on the same day, but the meeting was scheduled for 10am.
Nuno Rodriguez believed that it made sense to hold the meetings separately, “since there were differences in the previous negotiation process.”
“We think it makes sense to have a conversation with us, especially because expectations may be different and I think that’s what the minister wants – to have different union perspectives and therefore accept us separately,” the trade unionist said leader.
FNAM President Joana Bordalo e Sa told Lusa that the federation was notified on Thursday evening of the meeting in response to her request to begin negotiations.
“The theme of the meeting will be the presentation of proposals and the dialogue of negotiations, and the National Federation of Doctors obviously wants to be part of the solution, wants to have a dialogue, wants to present proposals, and let’s hope that there is this common sense and this real openness on the part of the new health minister,” – he emphasized.
Regarding the fact that the meetings were separated, Joana Bordalo i Sá said that it was a proposal from the Ministry of Health and “there is nothing to object to.”
“The truth is that the National Federation of Doctors will maintain a position of dialogue, try to be part of the solutions, and above all, we expect from the other side seriousness, competence, real political will in striving to improve the working conditions and salaries of doctors and, above all, to there were no behind-the-scenes games,” he emphasized.
Joana Bordalo e Sa insisted that “under no circumstances will she accept the loss of rights as a bargaining chip in any negotiations.”
As for the proposals he brings to the negotiating table, the KNU leader named the completion of the interim agreement reached with the previous government at the end of last year as the “main point”.
“The second point is the issue of career growth, therefore the speed of competition and the restructuring of SIADAP. [sistema integrado de gestão e avaliação do desempenho] doctor, that is, 70% of doctors have never been certified and are therefore blocked in their career,” said Nuno Rodriguez.
SIM wants to urgently unblock “this situation” so doctors can have a clear view of the future in the NHS.
On Saturday, FNAM will hold its first National Council since the new government took office, which will “define the key topics” that will be discussed in the next negotiations.
However, the Ministry of Health of Lus confirmed the meetings with trade union structures planned for April 26.
Health Minister Ana Paula Martins said on Thursday that she had already contacted doctors’ and nurses’ unions to begin negotiations.
Noting that she would not make any comments on the unions’ specifications, the government official only added that she would talk and listen to the union structures and understand their arguments.
“The dialogue goes in both directions, so it is very important to listen to the unions, to understand that they certainly bring us information from the field of what the professionals experience, and that is why we are here, to integrate what their proposals are,” finished.
Author: Lusa
Source: CM Jornal

I’m Sandra Hansen, a news website Author and Reporter for 24 News Reporters. I have over 7 years of experience in the journalism field, with an extensive background in politics and political science. My passion is to tell stories that are important to people around the globe and to engage readers with compelling content.