Ecuador abandoned its plans to exchange Russian weapons with the United States after learning they were going to be transferred to Ukraine, Ecuadorian President Daniel Noboa said, Bloomberg reports on February 23.
The President of Ecuador said that although he knew that the United States would not be the final destination of the military equipment, “To our surprise, the United States has publicly declared that it is going to be used in an armed conflict in Ukraine, in which we will not participate”.
In January, Ecuador said it had agreed to receive US weapons worth $200 million in exchange for 1990s-era Russian weapons that Washington intended to send to Ukraine.
Russia called the plan “reckless” and briefly imposed a partial ban on banana imports from Ecuador.
Earlier this week, Foreign Minister Gabriela Sommerfeld spoke in Congress and ruled out sending weapons to the war zone.
Source: Rossa Primavera

I am Michael Melvin, an experienced news writer with a passion for uncovering stories and bringing them to the public. I have been working in the news industry for over five years now, and my work has been published on multiple websites. As an author at 24 News Reporters, I cover world section of current events stories that are both informative and captivating to read.