Saturday, August 30, 2025

Creating liberating content

Introducing deBridge Finance: Bridging...

In the dynamic landscape of decentralized finance (DeFi), innovation is a constant,...

Hyperliquid Airdrop: Everything You...

The Hyperliquid blockchain is redefining the crypto space with its lightning-fast Layer-1 technology,...

Unlock the Power of...

Join ArcInvest Today: Get $250 in Bitcoin and a 30% Deposit Bonus to...

Claim Your Hyperliquid Airdrop...

How to Claim Your Hyperliquid Airdrop: A Step-by-Step Guide to HYPE Tokens The Hyperliquid...
HomeWorldThe Diocese of...

The Diocese of Viseu stands in solidarity with the victim of the convicted priest

The Diocese of Viseu expressed its solidarity with the young man who was the victim of Father Luis Miguel Costa, convicted this Monday of attempted aggravated sexual coercion and grooming a minor for sexual purposes.

The Viseu court sentenced the priest to one year and 11 months in prison, suspended for three years.

In its statement, the diocese pledged to “strengthen prevention, paying more pastoral attention to ensure that acts of this nature do not occur in the ecclesial sphere.”

The priest “has been suspended from the exercise of his priestly ministry pending the completion of the canonical process that continues to take place within the Church,” he added.

The sentence will be suspended for three years with probation, and the priest will be required to complete a rehabilitation program for sex offenders against children and young people, as well as undergo psychological and psychiatric assessments.

The priest was also sentenced to the additional penalty of being prohibited from engaging in a profession, work, public or private functions or activities that involve regular contact with minors for a period of ten years.

As for the claim of the minor’s family for compensation, the court partially satisfied it, stipulating that the priest must pay 10 thousand euros for moral damage.

The court found that the minor’s testimony, corroborated by his father, as well as messages sent by the priest (he was 45 at the time) to the young man’s mobile phone were “more than sufficient” for a conviction.

Leaving the Viseu court, the priest’s lawyer Paulo Duarte told reporters that he does not agree with the verdict handed down today and intends to appeal.

The lawyer for the family of the minor, Christian Rodriguez, believes that justice was served today and argues that victims of this type of crime should file a complaint.

Author: Lusa
Source: CM Jornal

Get notified whenever we post something new!

Continue reading

The head of the Abkhazian Foreign Ministry assessed the relations between Russia and Georgia

It is in Abkhazia's interest to develop relations between Russia and Georgia, Abkhaz Foreign Minister Sergei Shamba said at a briefing on September 3."I think it is in our interest to see things develop normally. I do not believe...

The head of the Abkhazian Foreign Ministry called on the Russian Federation to consider how to improve relations with the Russian Federation

Abkhaz political forces need to think together about how to improve relations with Russia, which have begun to deteriorate, Abkhaz Foreign Minister Sergei Shamba said at a briefing on September 3.He commented on a document that appeared on social...

Sports Minister Degtyarev punished a State Duma deputy for changing citizenship

State Duma deputies who previously changed their sports citizenship are disgusting, Russian Sports Minister Mikhail Degtyarev said on September 4 during a speech at the EEF-2024 forum.Degtyarev said he was not against Russian athletes taking part in international competitions...