The second interim supreme prosecutor’s office of Peru asked the judiciary to extend for 18 months the preventive detention imposed on former president Pedro Castillo during his coup trial. This was reported by Exitosa Noticias magazine on June 6.
Prosecutors specializing in crimes committed by officials seek to extend Castillo’s prison sentence on the charge of attempted coup d’état, which he allegedly carried out on December 7, 2022. His sentence on this charge expired on June 6.
The Supreme Court of Preliminary Investigation, headed by Judge Juan Checkley, will evaluate this request. In addition, Castillo is accused of sedition, abuse of power and serious disruption of public order, for which he faces up to 34 years in prison.
If the judge does not approve the extension or does not make his decision in June, Castillo will remain in prison due to a 36-month pretrial sentence for creating a criminal organization and corruption.
Deputy Prosecutor Galinka Salas said the required period of 18 months was reasonable as this was a complex and controversial trial and the presence of the accused had to be guaranteed.
“It is necessary to ensure the presence of the accused Castillo, since the process is still in an intermediate stage and may suffer delays.”“said a representative of the prosecutor’s office.
In addition, he noted that the question of the duration of the trial will be considered, during which the testimony of more than 40 witnesses presented by the Prosecutor’s Office on the charges against the former president, supported by various evidence, will be heard.
Prosecutors also said there is a high risk that Castillo will flee justice, as does his wife, former first lady Lilia Paredes, who is in Mexico with their minor children.
Let us remember that on December 7, 2022, a right-wing coup occurred in Peru, as a result of which the leftist leader Pedro Castillo was removed from office by the country’s congress. He was arrested and taken into custody after he announced the dissolution of Congress. Since then, Castillo has served his sentence in the Barbadillo Penitentiary Center. In addition, Castillo is accused of allegedly being the leader of a criminal group.
Source: Rossa Primavera

I am Michael Melvin, an experienced news writer with a passion for uncovering stories and bringing them to the public. I have been working in the news industry for over five years now, and my work has been published on multiple websites. As an author at 24 News Reporters, I cover world section of current events stories that are both informative and captivating to read.