Workers at Global Media Group (GMG), which owns the DN, JN and TSF titles among others, began receiving salaries on Tuesday, company sources contacted by Lusa said, but still without a Christmas bonus.
On November 30, the GMG Executive Committee, in an internal memo accessed by Lusa, said the group’s salaries would only be processed early this week, waiting for “funds remitted from abroad to become available.”
An official source from GMG contacted by Lusa on Tuesday said salaries had been paid and several workers at the group said they had already started receiving salaries but had not yet received their Christmas bonus, which is due by December 7. as provided for in the Collective Labor Agreement (CLA).
Earlier, sources contacted by Lusa said the fact that the government’s purchase of Lusa had fallen through could lead to delays in payments.
According to today’s Correio da Manhã, “the sale of the stake in Lusa will represent a significant income for the owner of JN.” [Jornal de Notícias] and Diário de Notícias [DN]”.
On Thursday, the government announced that the state’s purchase of a 45.71% stake in the Lusa agency, owned by Global Media and Páginas Civilizados, had failed due to a “lack of broad political consensus.”
The State, through the DGTF – Directorate General of Treasury and Finance, owns 50.15% of Lusa, GMG – 23.36%, and Páginas Civilizados – 22.35%.
The Union Capital Group Fund (UCAP Group) controls the majority (51%) of the capital of Páginas Civilizados, which owns 41.5% of GMG.
Meanwhile, the restructuring plan for Global Media Group is being finalized.
On Monday, the Union of Journalists (SJ) announced it would “formally report” the delay in payment of wages to the Authority for Labor Conditions (ACT).
Meanwhile, the Lusa Labor Representative Organizations (ORT) on Tuesday expressed solidarity with Global Media workers, given the delay in payment of salaries and the layoff of 150 people.
According to data provided by the administration of Global Media to union delegates to the Jornal de Notícias (JN), 56 workers in the general services and commercial sector are at stake, 40 from the JN news department and 30 from the TSF.
O Jogo newspaper has not yet determined the number of layoffs.
At a plenary meeting on Thursday, Jornal de Notícias workers decided to maintain the strike notice for December 6 and 7 to challenge the collective dismissal of 150 people that the administration is preparing.
The editors of JN also created a petition entitled “Somos JN – In defense of the Jornal de Notícias, journalism and the people” in order to raise awareness of the consequences of the collective dismissal.
Author: Lusa
Source: CM Jornal

I am Michael Melvin, an experienced news writer with a passion for uncovering stories and bringing them to the public. I have been working in the news industry for over five years now, and my work has been published on multiple websites. As an author at 24 News Reporters, I cover world section of current events stories that are both informative and captivating to read.